Tuesday 8 March 2016

Tips for Travelling to America 2 – Travel Money

Tips for Travelling to America 2 – Travel Money

America is a great place to visit but there are various things that need to be considered before you travel. This second blog post covers another of the most important issues anyone travelling to America must consider.


Travel Money

Whenever I visit America I end up taking a lot of spending money because there is just so much to do and see….plus loads of shopping!

The last time I visited Florida my partner and I took about £2000 between us and obviously taking this as cash would be ludicrous and dangerous.
After doing a lot of research into other options we decided to opt for a FairFx currency card for the majority of our money whilst taking a small amount as cash. The card is free as long as you load over £200 on to the card to begin with.

FairFx currency cards are available as either a USA dollar card or a Euro card. The card is very simple and the exchange rates are very competitive.  I have included the website below so you can see for yourself.


We got our cash and the card both from FairFx as the exchange rate was so good at the time. 
FairFx exchange rates in comparison to rivals 08/03/2016



When you top up the card you lock in the rate at that time ensuring you won’t lose out if the exchange rate falls before you travel. The cash was sent recorded delivery so was very safe. The card and pin are both sent separately, just as your bank would do.


  • There is no change for using your card for chip and pin to pay in ships and restaurants’, anywhere you see the Mastercard symbol.The card is re-usable so you can use it for years.
  • It costs $2.00 each time you withdraw money from a standard ATM regardless of the amount you withdraw (please note some ATMs will charge more depending on the supplier, same as you get back home when some machines charge an extra fee).
  • You can load funds instantly on to your card and check your balance anywhere via their free mobile app of online via their website.


I used to use travellers cheques whenever I travelled as I always found if I used my bank card the charges were too high and the exchange rate was abysmal and that’s even if the card worked! Several times I had my card blocked for “fraud” even though I had told the bank I would be using the card abroad.  So I’d be stuck on holiday with no money, trying to phone the bank from my mobile which would cost me a fortune, getting passed around from department to department just trying to get my card unblocked! I have never had any issues like this with the FairFx card.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Genuine Getaway Guide Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design